Sunday, June 9, 2013

GARDEN UPDATE: You win some, you lose some.

 I'm not sure if it was all the rain, bad drainage in the pot or not much sun,
or all of the above, but this lettuce regrowth did not make it.
Lucky we have plenty that are doing well.
 One hungry caterpillar found our butter lettuce and approves!

It also found our cos lettuce re-growth tasty too.

The bok choy got a nibble as well.

With Caterpillars there comes butterflies too.
I'm yet to snap a photo of one, but I have seen them around.

This is the first time we have grown tomatoes and I'm so fascinated with watching them grow.
 
Some flowers open this week! 

 And there was a bee flying around the garden to pollinate!
This morning the yellow flower (petals and stamen) fell off, leaving the green bits (stigma, sepal, style and peduncle).  I'm told this is all part of the process and a tomato will grow now where the flower was. Very excited.

These Passionfruit seedling have been slowly growing over the last few months.  
I started them from the seeds of half a store brought passionfruit. I ate the other half :) Yum!

The red onion has gown wild! This one came up in the compost from an off cut many weeks ago.
The parsley (a gift from good friend and fellow blogger Tracey Fletcher King)
 is growing well. It got potted out into several bigger containers this week.

 
Earlier in week the garlic bulb I planted decided to say hello,
breaking through the ground.


This morning I noticed it had split in two.

It's so wonderful and excited to go into the garden of a morning and see what is new. 



Comment on this post using Facebook:
Comment on this post using Blogger, WordPress, Type Pad, LiveJournal, OpenID, AIM or Name/URL:

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are quite the green thumb! This has inspired me to try and grow some things from scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've inspired me to try growing strawberries. I started some from the seeds I got from super market strawberries yesterday, we'll see how that goes. Good luck with your re-grows, beats wasting kitchen scraps.

      Delete