Monday, December 3, 2012

Big or Small Brushes?

Well, it really depends on the job and the size of the painting.  The rule I've heard from Sargent (and many other reputable artists) is to use a brush slighter bigger than you need.


During the week just gone, I put the finishing touches on my commissioned portrait painting, it was a very small piece, so all the face detailing was done with very tiny brushes (below).  I also started work on my next bayside painting as well, and got out the big brushes !


On the last few bayside paintings I've worked from vague to specific, building it up slowly, doing this gives you a lovely cross contamination of colour (beautiful greys) which then in turn emphasis the high lights in the painting and give a wonderful feeling of light and humidity. I did take some photos, of where I'm currently at with the latest bayside painting, however the paint was still wet and the light fading, which does not make for good photography conditions. I'll have to check back later in the week to show you.

Happy and Productive week to all - Tracey.




Comment on this post using Facebook:
Comment on this post using Blogger, WordPress, Type Pad, LiveJournal, OpenID, AIM or Name/URL:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tracey!
    Hope you're doing well.
    I remember some time ago you mentioned that you had gotten a brush for painting with your iPad (maybe the Nomad brush) and I was wondering if you continue to use it and like it? I recently got a stylus that I ended up not liking at all and I'm looking for good alternatives!
    Any feedback much appreciated! xoxo, Molly

    ReplyDelete