Friday, April 30, 2010

This week in the studio - painting for two art prizes.

Here is what I have been up to this week.

1. My Lead and the Swan 



I started this painting this week for the Metro 5 Art Award.  As many of you know, I look towards famous paintings and artist for inspiration.  Leonardo da Vinci is an artist that intriguers me, the Golden Ratio that can be found in this paintings fascinate me. Leda and the Swan is a motif in Greek mythology.   Leonardo da Vinci (among other artists) have painted this subject.  I am using Leonardo da Vinci's painting as an inspirational starting point for 'My Leda and the Swan'.  This image is oil on wood.



2. The Australian Dream (working title)




This is an image that I have been working on for the Waterhouse Art Prize.  This Prize is held at the South Australian Museum and is an Australian award for natural history art.    'The Australian Dream' is the first oil on linen I have done in quite some time, and I must say I am loving working in oils again. This painting is about the vast opportunities available in Australia.  I have set out to portray this through a Hermit Crab considering the possibilities of making a home in any of the numerous sea urchins that have washed up on a beach

No comments:

Post a Comment